In 2005, I wrote a book titled For-Profit Web Sites: A Second Look at How to Make the Web Profitable. It was a strategy book that focused on web sites as a tool for generating additional business and supporting sales. I thought about it the other day, and dug it out.
Frankly, I was surprised at how much of it was current. There are some dated references. Anyone remember the Palm VII?
But here’s the basic idea:
- Find out how much traffic your web site is getting and what is generating it. There are many products out there to help you do this.
- Figure out what key words will generate the most traffic for your site, and optimize on those words.
- Once someone arrives at your site, offer them something of value in exchange for their contact information (I suggest email and first name).
- Create an email newsletter, and send it on a regular basis.
- Repeat the process of analysis to see how you are doing.
It’s a good process. It works. We’ve done it or some modification of it over and over for clients. Social Media is just a new twist on an old theme.
Drop me an email if you’d like a copy of the book. It needs updating, but it’s a quick and informative read.