Now that we’re past year end (almost), I’ve returned to the annual task of reviewing all of the new features in the new releases of software. One of the neat new features in Dynamics NAV 2016 is OCR invoice processing. Basically, the process works as follows:
- Import a PDF file (or scan it and then import it) as an Incoming document
- Send it to the OCR service (or let NAV Job Queue do it)
- Receive it from the OCR service (or schedule it)
- Review the results (if necessary)
- Correct the OCR results and send feedback to the Lexmark ICS (Invoice Capture Service) to improve the results next time.
- Automatically create an invoice or queue it for processing. The OCR recognizes text in the invoice to supply G/L account numbers for the lines on the invoice.
That’s wonderful functionality, but it leaves just a few questions unanswered:
- You’ll have to have a Lexmark ICS account before you can use the feature. Sign up for the account here: https://store.readsoftonline.com/nav/
- Once you sign up, you’ll get an email with the information you need to enter in OCR Setup in Dynamics NAV (account number, password, and key). The password here is not the same one you used when you set up your account for Lexmark ICS.
- Workflow is also possible using Incoming Documents (such as invoice approvals, etc.). That will be in another post.
- Lexmark ICS is available as a free service for up to 75 documents per month. After that you’ll pay per invoice (now $0.89 per document). There are also subscription services available for larger volume users.
Next I’ll record a few videos showing my adventures in using Lexmark ICS.